Tuesday 7 February 2012

Review: Matched by Ally Condie


Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Pages: 366 Release Date: December 2nd 2010 Publisher: Penguin Source: Book Voucher

Goodreads:

On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her match. The Society dictates that he is her perfect partner for life, except he's not.

In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love.
How many children they have.
Where they work.
When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy,
she is determined to make some choices of her own.

And that's when her whole world
begins to unravel...

My Review:

Matched is such a good book! I can’t believe it took me so long to discover it! I absolutely adored how the poem was used throughout, it made it seem really special and deliciously dangerous.

I enjoyed reading about Cassia, she was easy to get along with, rebellious, strong-minded, determined and definitely smart and I really liked her. Xander was also an interesting character as he was Cassia’s best friend and Match, at the start he seemed so perfect and I didn’t like that at all, but as the story progressed and his feelings and emotions were revealed, I began to like him a lot more! Then we have Ky, who knows things that Cassia doesn’t and really opens up her mind. I liked Ky a lot! I thought he was really suited to Cassia and I loved how their relationship developed! I have to mention Cassia’s grandfather! He was so sweet, I loved him! It was really well connected how Cassia’s grandmother’s compact was the spark of the rebellious spirit inside Cassia and how her grandfather truly had a history.

The setting was very well structured. It seemed so easy to imagine that that was the world we lived in, with the super fast air trains. I particularly enjoyed how the poem was used throughout as I said earlier. Do not go gentle. It was the perfect poem to choose that paired so well with Matched. As the reader, you could really feel how it was used to help create the tension and suspense and to match the character’s frustrations and desires. Also, the fact how everything was structured in Society from who you love, to when you die, to what job you will do was very intriguing to read about, how people believed that the Society was perfect and then nearer the end maybe not as perfect as you ever believed at all? This concoction makes Matched an intoxicating read! You can definitely feel the anxiety and tension build up between the characters. I thought the idea of the Hundred Songs, Hundred Pictures and Hundred Poems definitely added that little something extra into the mix and made the whole environment seem like a very scary world to live in!

Beware, Matched ends on a bit of a cliff hanger and now I’m dying to read Crossed! I need to know what happens! So, make sure you have the second book to hand as well J Matched was amazing! Get it now! :D I finished this book in a day it was that good!

5 out of 5 stars overall.






2 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed this book! However I have heard the second one isn't that great :/

    New follower from Blogaholic :)
    Can't wait to read more!

    Claire
    clairelouisereads.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I loved it! :D I know, I've heard that too and I'm really worried :(
    Thank you, I followed you back :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...