Sunday 21 August 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa



Pages: 363 Release Date: February 1st 2010 Publisher: Harlequin Teen Source: Won

Goodreads:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


My Review:

Firstly, I know a lot of people have read this, so I just want to say, WOW! ‘The Iron King’ is a wonderful concoction of magic, humour, romance, danger and adventure.

The setting is magnificent, from the Wyldwood, to Arcadia, to Tir Na Nog, I loved every minute of it, especially the contrasts between Summer and Winter. I felt every snowflake and saw every flower, everything was richly described and I felt as though I was standing there.

The characters in ‘The Iron King’ are fantastic. I love how Meghan is not perfect –she’s not the most popular girl in school and she’s not rich. She is just a normal girl who discovers something very important about herself and I feel like she developed throughout the story.

The two boys in Meghan’s life, well, what can I say? There’s Puck (A.K.A. Robbie) who is the protective, mischievous, playful guy who contrasts to Prince Ash who is the dark, brooding, mysterious and handsome guy. Who doesn’t love the bad boy you’re not supposed to like? ;)

The plot kept me up all night –literally! I started this yesterday :) All of the twists and turns kept me frantically turning the pages to find out what happened next, one page soon turned into chapters. There are numerous plot changes and I enjoyed reading them.

Overall, I absolutely loved ‘The Iron King’ and I cannot wait to read the others in the series! I think I am officially hooked :) I would recommend this book to everyone! It has a bit of everything thrown in. Get this book now! :)

5 out of 5 stars.









8 comments :

  1. I have been meaning to read the Iron Fae series for a long time but my TBR list is astronomical. Your review just makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book last week and it kept me past by bedtime for sure! I loved The Iron Kight, it's my favorite of the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! It is a wonderful series. The best part as you mentioned is the rich description of the whole setting. Its visual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series because it's so in depth and involved. The world is so brilliantly described and complex it's like it's real! I just finished book 4, great end to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S I have an old second-hand copy of book 2 if you want it? Just drop me an email with your address
    sallycrofts@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked this book! I just adore this whole series and I can't wait to hear how much you love the other books (because I know you definitely will!)! :)

    Awesome review, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You've won an award for your blog!!! Come check it out on my post:

    http://beckonedbybooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/super-duper-excited-my-first-blog-award.html

    ~Sherre

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this now! Good review. :)

    I am new follower - great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...