Thursday 3 May 2012

Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Slated by Teri Terry
Publisher:
Orchard Books
Release Date: May 3rd 2012
Cover Love: 10/10
Source: Won
Add to: Goodreads

Goodreads: Kyla’s memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever. She’s been Slated. The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?




My Review: (I apologise for the length, I loved so much about this book!)

Wow, wow wow! Slated is absolutely amazing! I was frantically turning the pages over and over and at one point, it was Sleep vs. Slated and Slated won. This book is unputdownable!

I really enjoyed reading about Kyla, she was a very strong character and I loved how she had her own mind (pardon the pun :P), she was determined and stubborn. She definitely grew as the novel went on, learning and adapting. I liked how she questioned things in her own way, like why she was Slated and who she was before. I can’t even imagine waking up one day and not knowing how to do things or understand certain phrases. Slated is so exciting! You find out some crucial details about Kyla that will keep you on your toes.

I loved how Ben and Kyla’s relationship developed over time. I’m really happy there was no insta-love, which is practically everywhere in YA novels. They started as friends first and their feelings blossomed and they began to really care for each other. I <3 Ben! There’s some major action which happens between Ben and Kyla and I really hope he’s okay! Read it if you want to know what happened ;)

The suspense and tension in Slated nearly killed me. There is a dark heavy atmosphere in the world of Slated - 2054 I think. People casually disappear never to return again and this hangs over the novel. Where are all these people? What’s happened to them? You find yourself constantly asking questions. What happened to Gianelli was a sad moment, I really liked him and wanted to know more about him. I love how he was strong enough to challenge the ‘hush, hush’ attitude in his own way. 

There are numerous twists and turns that will leave you gasping and screaming “WHAT?!” I love how Kyla’s ‘Mum’ explained how the Slateds became Slated, the whole history of what and how it all happened. The world building was scary -I would not like to live in this era. There’s action and a general sense of danger and feeling like you’re being watched all the time and if you put one foot wrong it’s game over. 

The idea of the Levo’s were definitely interesting, I’ve never heard of anything like them before and it was a wonderfully scary idea. 5-6 is the normal happy level, 10 is absolute joy, 3 is a serious threat and below 2 could cause seizures and even death, so keeping your emotions in check is an important factor. Be thankful you don’t have to wear one whilst reading Slated or it would be jumping all over the place! I read a fact somewhere that depression will be the 2nd biggest killer in 2020 and the idea of the Levo’s controlling moods and emotions made the possibility of them being real, very frightening. 

I enjoyed reading about all the characters, Dr. Lysander was a difficult character to try and work out. Is she honestly being nice or does she have some ulterior motive? Hatten. Oh my word! What we learn about him, is a major shocker! Phoebe was a great character to read about, she is really nasty to Kyla but gradually we begin to understand her and see a softer side to her. Mrs. Ali and and Dr. Winston sound terrifying, I would not like to know them in real life! Constantly watching and snooping around, checking for mistakes or errors and having the ability to ‘remove’ that person. I enjoyed reading about Amy too! What we learn about her is so sad, she begged for VS, Voluntary Slating after a terrible life. Aiden is also a tricky character, putting words inside Ben and Kyla’s heads and giving Ben some ‘Happy Pills’ to control his Levo.

Overall, Slated was amazing. It’s got everything, romance, suspense, tension, drama, danger and secrecy! Go and buy this book now you won’t regret it! I cannot wait for Fractured, the second instalment released Summer 2013. 

5 out of 5 stars


9 comments :

  1. Great review, Steph. I loved it too and yes, imagine having one of those Levos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah girl! So glad you liked it! I read it and loved it too! Loved your review too! I agree with you about the insta-romance and wrote it in my review. I'm glad they didn't just look at each other and fall in love. The fact that they didn't made it much more romantic and sweet, if that makes any sense :p. Anyway, great review! :)

    ~Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for Fractured! :D Thank you! :) I know, it's practically everywhere at the minute and its one of my pet peeves. Yes, it was very cute! I loved them together :)

      Delete
  3. WOW! I love this review and am now officially CRAZY excited to read "Slated"! I haven't heard much about it, and now you've got me readyreadyready to readreadread! :D What you said about the romance and the intensity of the book has me sold!! I plan on reading this as soon as I possibly can! :D

    Thanks again!
    Sierra
    www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D Good, it's an amazing book! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review! I read about this book yesterday and thought it sounded really good, so it was cool to read your review on it!
    Mariana - World of Tori Vega.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It is so good, you should get it!

      Delete
  5. Just started reading this book last night i'm now 150 pages in! I can't put it down! I thought it was just a one off then I googled the author and found out it was part of a series!! I'm sure i wont be able to wait that long for the second to come out next year!!!
    Have you read ' taken' by alma katsu steph? Its amazing I bought it in the airport in dubai on my way to Australia by the time i landed 14hours later i had read it the second book is out mid june i cant wait!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...