Thursday 13 October 2011

Review: Flawless by Lara Chapman


Pages: 255 Release Date: May 10th 2011 Publisher: Bloomsbury Source: Review

Goodreads:


Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.

My Review: 

I enjoyed ‘Flawless’ by Lara Chapman. I thought it was a good concept and it would be an interesting read and it was!


The characters all felt very real. Sarah had to be my favourite character though, she develops so much as the story progresses and I really like her for that. At the beginning I was a bit wary as she can be annoying at times but overall, I enjoyed her. I didn't like how she did everything that people asked her to do, it was like she was being a doormat, so I'm glad she stood up for herself. Regarding annoying, how annoying is her Mum please? I would feel exactly how Sarah feels if my Mum put nose job pamphlets on my desk every day but I did like how that situation evolved. Plus, Kristen –her supposedly best friend- I felt like she used Sarah a lot and was quite whiney.  Rock was an interesting character. It’s not very often that you get guys who are really interested in English and poetry in stories, so I liked that aspect.


The plot was good, albeit predictable at times. I could guess the ending quite clearly before I finished the book. It was interesting though and I loved the modern setting with the Facebook messages and texts.
Overall, I would recommend ‘Flawless’ but as a light read.


3 out of 5 stars.





3 comments :

  1. Fantastic review, I will look out for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't been hearing much about this so it is nice to read a review on it. [:

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to read Flawless for awhile now! I always love retellings, but I had actually not heard of Cyrano de Bergerac before reading it. Since reading Flawless, I had to go check it out. If you haven't heard of it like me, Flawless stands on it's own perfectly fine!

    Sarah is remarkably self-assured despite knowing of her flaw. In fact, when people stare or make fun of her, she stands up to them! So refreshing. Yes, at times she is insecure about her flaw just like every other human being in the world, but I expected her to be insecure the entire time. Kristen is also a great friend, although completely clueless. She is so caught up in pretending to be perfect for this guy she views as perfect. Rock, by the way, is pretty much perfect. He is sweet, charming, comes up with great dates, and loves literature.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...